Minutes for 02/24/2016

Union Catalog Committee Meeting Notes – February 24, 2016

OLD BUSINESS:

  • 907 and 917 fields in MARC records. Can these be deleted? (Lloyd)
    • Lloyd will insert note to designate that these will be deleted, in case someone who is using them didn’t get the message that they are going away.
  • Authority control update (Lloyd)
    • “No A.C.” notes now in 958 field so they won’t appear in the public catalog. Field group tag is y (marc).
      • Note that the lack of a CAT DATE would also keep an item out of Authority Processing
      • Lloyd will add this to Marmot cataloging documentation
    • LTI issues – AEX updating was not budgeted for this year.
      • There are two parts to keeping up with authorities with LTI, Authority Update Processing (AUP) and Authority Express (AEX). AUP is what we have been doing for years. LTI sends out updates for the fixed set of records they already know we have. At this point, that is the set of records we sent them last summer. For a system our size that costs $6,000 a year, and that is what Marmot budgeted for 2016. AEX is the process of sending our newly added records to LTI, so they keep up to date on our current set of records. This costs $0.10 per new record. Over the last four years we have added an average of around 170,000 new records per year, so AEX updates would cost us around $17k per year. Marmot is planning to request funds to implement AEX next year. The request for that additional funding will include a proposal for what we would do with authority records that would make it worthwhile.
      • One possibility for funding is to require new members to pay to add their new records into the AEX process. o Another thing to consider is whether we want to include subscription ebook packages in authority processing.
      • Side loaded records are also an issue because there is not an easy way to separate new records from old records
      • Cutting back on duplicate records would save money on AEX processing.
  • Update on local notes in item records (Lloyd)
    • At the last meeting we discussed the possibility of putting information specific to locally held items into item notes rather than bib record 590 fields.
    • Lloyd discussed this with Mark and learned that it would not be easy to make that work in Pika.
    • It turns out that a keyword search in Pika actually searches all records, only then does it limit the results to the specific library.
    • As a result, searchable item notes would produce strange results.
      • For example, Library A and Library B both own a copies of a book.
      • Library B has a “signed by author” note is its item record.
      • If you did a keyword search for the book with “signed by author” at Library A, you would get a result, but it would not say “signed by author” because Library A’s item does not have the note.
      • You would get an erroneous hit and you would not know why.
      • It would find the bib because the keyword search looks at everything first, then it returns results specific to the library.
      • Changing this searching method would require a major change to the structure of Pika.
  • Maintenance of Data Exchange (Lloyd)
    • Data Exchange, Create Lists & Statistics results files all need to be cleaned up regularly.
    • Shelly – wants records kept until she gets the book.
    • Amy – suggests records can be saved on computer rather than remain on list.
    • Betsey – need to keep list cleaned up.
    • Lloyd to send reminder emails monthly, and contact libraries that are still not clearing out their files.
  • Same code for two different field group tags, "u" and "q" both labeled "other title" (Lloyd)
    • Lloyd had III add a qualifier of (u) and (q) to the names of the field group tags, so people can tell them apart.
    • The (q) tag is for titles in the 760 to 777 range and (u) if for the rest of the other title fields.
    • Jamie – would like a list of which MARC fields belong with which field group tags.
    • Lloyd will produce that list and put it on the wiki.
  • BIBFRAME discussion
    • The group agrees to set aside next UCC meeting for discussion of BIBFRAME to include Mark N. (Marmot) and Logan McDonald (Anythink support services).
    • Jimmy T. will arrange for Mark and Logan to attend next UCC meeting 3/23/16 9-11am MT dedicated to this issue.
    • Many on the UCC have taken Zephira BIBFRAME training.
    • Logan has dropped his work with Zephira and is currently working with Mark on this.
  • Duplicates subcommittee
    • Amy/Emily report from the subcommittee
      • Acquisitions institutions appear to be loading records causing duplicates.
      • Suggested possible in-person workshop for Acq institutions to figure out where duplicates are coming from.
      • GC and MCPLD have offered to host.
      • Amy/Emily – workshop would include how each institution loads acq records.
      • Jimmy T. will contact Acquisitions users/directors to see if a day-long inperson meeting is possible.
      • This is intended to be an interactive session, attendees are requested to demonstrate loading records/workflow, etc.
      • Tentative date would be 4/13/2016 (TBD). More to come.
      • Meeting would include Acquisitions module users and members of the Duplicates Subcommittee.
  • Process for adding item records with orders to allow holds (Brandon)
    • Brandon – I-type 28 and location mdl and loan rules have been created and activated.
    • Marmot can track down dummy records which can be left in until they’re not needed.
    • Jo – suggested records should be suppressed with I-code not visible to patrons.
    • They will still function to allow holds.
    • Tammy can create video and materials, possibly by mid-March.
    • Brandon and Tammy coming up with training TBD.

NEW BUSINESS:

  • IUG Enhancement Process
    • IUG enhancement voting is upon us.
    • Our vote is due on Monday.
    • Please let Brandon, Lloyd or Tammy know which enhancements you want us to vote for in each of their respective areas.
    • Marmot libraries can get their own IUG membership for $100/year, independent membership advantages would be attendance at IUG with cheaper registration, and votes for enhancement.
    • For Marmot, Lloyd – Catalog votes, Brandon – Circulation votes, Tammy – Acquisition votes.
  • Z39.50 and SkyRiver issues (Lloyd)
    • Marmot currently limits members to getting records from OCLC or Skyriver.
    • However we are looking into the possibility that we could once again allow Z39.50 without creating duplicates and bad BIB UTIL #s.
    • Lloyd – found from SkyRiver that they do have OCLC numbers, but they don’t allow users to see them or export them.
    • Jimmy T – when we signed up for SkyRiver we were told that we would be able to see and use OCLC numbers in SkyRiver records.
    • Jimmy T. will contact SkyRiver to see if they can make the OCLC numbers available to us.
  • OTHER:
  • Marc field tag 210 (other journal title)
    • Lloyd – at Fort Lewis the 210 field was removed from the journal title index because it is unnecessary and creates additional and confusing hits on searches in Sierra.
    • Suggestion is to remove this from Marmot’s journal title index as well. Several people like this idea and nobody objects.
    • Lloyd will change the 210 field to the y (marc) field group tag.
    • The marc tags remaining in the journal title index will be 222 (for LoC’s journal title) and 229 (for local journal titles). T
    • hese are causing multiple hits on same record.
    • Jo – points out that there is an enhancement currently up for voting that would remove these sort of extraneous results in Sierra searches.

ACTION ITEMS:

  • Action Person(s) responsible Designate 907 and 917 fields for deletion -  Lloyd
  • Add info about 958 “No A.C.” note to cataloging documentation -  Lloyd
  • Develop proposal for use of authority records in Pika   - Jimmy, Mark, Lloyd
  • Establish monthly reminder emails for cleaning up Data Exchange, Create Lists, and Statistics results files -  Lloyd
  • Create a list correlating all MARC tags and III field group tags, put up on the wiki - Lloyd
  • Request Mark Noble and Logan McDonald attend the next UCC meeting to discuss BIBFRAME  -  Jimmy
  • Contact directors about possibility of special in-person acquisitions meeting  - Jimmy
  • Develop procedures and training materials for dummy items to allow holds on on-order items -  Brandon and Tammy
  • Contact SkyRiver about reintroducing OCLC numbers to records -  Jimmy
  • Remove 210 fields from journal title index - Lloyd

NEXT MEETING: March 23, 2016 BIBFRAME discussion, Mark Noble and Logan McDonald Next Duplicate sub-committee meeting March 9, 2016

Meeting Date: 
Wednesday, 2016, February 24
Documentation Type: