Minutes for 07/27/2016

Marmot Union Cataloging Committee, July 27, 2016

Minutes

Announcements: Link maintenance on order records should be working now.

 

Action Items:

Completed

Action

Report

Develop proposal for use of authority records in Pika.

Authority proposal is available in Google Docs https://docs.google.com/document/d/18Fcl_QV-FqrVOsaKTMy9RfIBTsgjtmfBA5UtdYcfEPQ/edit?usp=sharing

Large list of duplicates in Sierra Create List 333.

New dup list 58 & 38

New list of dups 58 & 38 includes matches found in 001 and 019 (indexed as ISBN).

Possible automation to clean these up? To be discussed at next *001sub-committee meeting.

Send email to see who is interested in doing am OCLC reclamation project

Many libraries were interested in doing a reclamation project.  We can look at this after MUG.  We will probably start with a single library as a test.

Reorganize the buckets in Create Lists.

Details in Discussion Topics

Meet with macro users to get everyone to implement the option to get the best record from the current database.

All the macro users should now be using the process that selects the best record at the time of overlay

Contact Marmot if you are using the Marquis macro and you are not sure if you are doing this, or if it appears that your OCLC records are still getting overlaid by vendor records.

 

 

Ongoing

Action

 

Update

I-Type reorg proposal.

Brandon

Next meeting of the I-Type committee will be on 8/2/16

Designate 907 and 917 fields for deletion.

Lloyd

No update

Find out from Backstage and Marcive about URIs in records

Lloyd

Marcive included information about this in their response to our RFQ.  We will see what Backstage says.

Find old cataloging documentation, update it, and get it online.

Lloyd

No update

Investigate how we can take advantage of OCLC numbers in 035 of SkyRiver records.

Lloyd

No update

 

Subcommittee on the 001 meet to discuss what we want our load tables to do with this field.

Set of test records is in Sierra list 360

 

Lloyd, Jamie, Karen, Shelly

 

No meeting was held because Lloyd was out sick.

Find out about possibility of OCLC reclamation project.  To what extent it would resolve our issue of records with no 001.  How many Marmot libraries are due a free reclamation?  Price of full catalog reclamation.

Jimmy

Email send to members to gauge interest in the project

Investigate possible re-indexing project. What else should be re-indexed? 019 and 079 are in the ISBN index and probably should not be.  Look through old UCC minutes for any reference to indexing, and start a wiki page to keep track of re-indexing needs.

Lloyd

Lloyd checking with Joe at III for options.

Send Lloyd list of duplicates not found in Headings Reports.

Amy Shipley

Amy busy with Silt, probably in Sept. Need new examples for a new III ticket.

Experiment with what might be getting missed by the Headings Report duplicate check.

Lloyd

Please send examples, if you think you have records being missed by Headings Report

Check with Sky River users about using correct loader

Lloyd

No update

Survey what prefixes people are using for vendor records.

Lloyd

Lloyd ran list to find all prefixes in the system. Next we need to figure out what are people using prefixes for so we can make sure everyone is using the same ones.

 

 

Discussion topics

  • Duplicate committee report

    • No meeting held

 

  • Create List Reorg

Goal Structure:

Bucket Size

# of Buckets

849,016

1

500,000

1

400,000

1

200,000

3

100,000

8

50,000

8

25,000

8

20,000

17

10,000

17

7,500

17

5,000

22

3,000

22

2,000

23

1,500

24

1,000

78

500

100

100

159

 

 

  • Discussion: All the large buckets now appear on the first page when you start Create Lists.  Please don’t use these large buckets unless you actually need one.  There are now many 100 and 500 record buckets.  Just flip the list or scroll down a little to get to the smaller ones.  We can keep an eye on how we are using this structure and continue to tweak it as necessary.

  • Rec Type to Mat Type translation

MARC - Rec Type

Sierra - Mat Type

a

Language material

a

BOOK/SERIAL

c

Notated music

c

MUSIC SCORES

d

Manuscript notated music

d

DOWNLOADABLE

e

Cartographic material

e

MAPS

f

Manuscript cartographic material

 

 

g

Projected medium

g

VISUAL MEDIA

i

Nonmusical sound recording

i

AUDIO BOOK

j

Musical sound recording

j

AUDIO MUSIC

k

Two-dimensional nonprojectable graphic

k

ART

m

Computer file

m

COMPUTER SOFTW

o

Kit

o

KIT

p

Mixed materials

p

MIXED MEDIA

r

Three-dimensional artifact or naturally occurring object

r

REALIA

t

Manuscript language material

t

TEMP

   

 

 

   

-

 

   

b

ARCHIV/MANUSCR

   

h

AUDIO MEDIA

   

l

ELECTRONIC RESOURCE

   

s

STATE DOC

   

v

AV EQUIPMENT

   

z

EBOOKS

 

 

  • Discussion: The MARC codes “t” and “d” are leading to weird results when they translate into Mat Types in Sierra.  UCC decides to change the label on those codes in Sierra to line up with the meaning in MARC.  New Mat Types will be set up for “TEMP” and “DOWNLOADABLE.”  Items with those codes that actually should be coded as “TEMP” or “DOWNLOADALBE” can be moved to those new codes.  *Lloyd will make these changes.

  • Update on Authority Control RFQ

  • Discussion: Backstage – no response yet. Marcive – less expensive than LTI, Marcive process is different. Lloyd asks for volunteers to look at the quotes and provide feedback (*Julie Housknect & *Jamie Walker agree).  Jamie points out that one advantage of LTI is they enhance authorities beyond the standard LC records.  Brandon advises that the sources of records used should be in the RFQs.

  • mdlh (dummy item) records issues

  • Discussion: It seems that the dummy items to make newly ordered bibs holdable are not being created consistently.  Julie points out that she has been here a month and nobody told her about the dummy items yet.  It seems that we need a method that is more reliable to create these because it is hard to make sure everyone knows about it, and is doing it when necessary.  It is suggested that we automate the creation of these with load tables.  *Lloyd and *Alysa will test whether the OneClick loader can be set up to add these to every ordered item.  This may have the effect of creating more dummy items with each use of OneClick.  This would be a nuisance, but they would be deleted later and it would solve the holding problem.  If this works with the OneClick loader, *Lloyd will add that functionality to all the loaders that create order records.

  • 007 globe codes

  • Mark Noble found almost 300 records are coded as globes for some unknown reason.  Most of them seem to actually be vinyl records.  Jamie figured out that if you remove the first two characters from the 007 for a vinyl record you get a malformed 007 field that Pika interprets as a globe.  It appears that at some point, maybe a data migration years ago, someone’s 007 fields lost their first two digits.  *Lloyd will investigate whether an automated process can change these back to correct codes for vinyl records.

 

Meeting Date: 
Wednesday, July 27, 2016
Documentation Type: