Meeting Minutes for 02/28/2018

Marmot Union Cataloging Committee
Wednesday, February 28, 2018
Minutes

Announcements
  • Jimmy’s last day
    • Jimmy Thomas is retiring.  Today will be his last day.  Starting Thursday Sean Hanson is acting director.  Sean has been head of the Marmot IT department.  He is our longest serving employee.  He will fill in until we have hired a new permanent director.  Any director level issues should be brought to Sean as of today.  JB will fill in as head of IT.
  • Cataloging and grouping travel books
    • We will have a zoom meeting of people interested in the problems of cataloging and grouping travel books next Wednesday, March 7 at 9:00.  Contact Lloyd if you want to attend.  The R&D team will be at the Marmot office for the meeting.
  • Saved searches, sorts, lists and exports
    •  Lloyd put together a list of the Saved Exports that are not identified with a library’s name and sent it out to see if anyone can identify them.  We are not sure how much notice we have to give people before we delete them.  Tammy points out that since we have the structure of the exports we could easily recreate any of them if someone complains that theirs was deleted, so Lloyd could go ahead and delete those that are still not claimed.
    • *ACTION ITEM Lloyd: Delete unidentified Saved Exports
    •  Lloyd is working on getting the same information about saved searches.  There are many more of these, so it might be a while.
    • *ACTION ITEM Lloyd: Gather data on Saved Searches
Reports
  • Duplicate Committee Report
    • At the Duplicate Committee Amy Sieving showed us how the duplicate checking function in the Marquis macro works.  Anna has expressed interest in implementing this function at Grand County.
    • *ACTION ITEM Lloyd: Set up meeting with Telluride and Grand.
    • Amy showed us how Marquis will let you know there is a duplicate ISBN in the system, so you can clean up that duplicate before you load the records.  If you load while there is a duplicate, you will create a third duplicate.  This check helps prevent that.
    • Shelly points out that she does this now with the Data Exchange test load.  When you do a test load, it will tell you when it will insert a third duplicate because there are already 2 matching records.  She looks through that list to find those dups and fixes them before doing the real load.
  • Reindexing Report
    • Garfield is interested in having birth dates, email addresses and phone numbers indexed in patron records.  We think we could put these all in the same index.  They will not have the same kind of data, so they could all live in the same index.  The only question is that we are not sure if an index can have both variable field data and fixed field data.  We have that asked III that question.
  • Authority Update
    • The quarterly comprehensive update from Marcive just came through.  Lloyd is hoping to load them all tomorrow.  There are both new authority records and new bib records.
    • *ACTION ITEM Lloyd: Load new bib and authority records
Discussion Topics
  • Upgrade to Sierra 3.4
    • Someone on the Sierra email list reported a problem with Circa inventory.  Their system failed when they tried to do inventory on items with call numbers in item records.  When call numbers were in bib records it did not fail.  Our call numbers are in the item records, but we have not noticed this problem yet.  Shelly has done Circa inventory since the upgrade and not had the problem.  CMU is going to try it to see if there’s a problem for them.
    • A couple of Marmots have reported an annoying problem when you search in multi window mode, if you only get one hit, it will create a new window, and that window will immediately pop into the background behind your primary Sierra window.  This only happened in cataloging and serials modules, not in search/holds for some reason.  This only happens the first time in a session.  There is a ticket opened with III.
  • Server upgrade
    • We are also in the process of upgrading the server hardware.  Hopefully that will be completed by the end of next week.
  • 948 fields move to the new record when you move attached records!
    • Jamie noticed that when you move attached records, such as when deduping, MARC 948 fields will move over to the new record along with the items and orders.  Lloyd thinks this is because we put the 948 field in the ‘v’ field group tag.  Despite the fact that we renamed v as ‘authority note’, Lloyd suspects that Sierra still thinks it is a volume field, which is probably the original intent.  You would want volume information to move with attached records, if you kept it in the bib records.
    • We could probably have III remove this behavior, but then we wondered if maybe we want to take advantage of it.  Lloyd suspects that we could put our 590 and 690 local fields into FGT v, then they would move over to new records when we do deduping.  This would simplify deduping because you would not have to worry about losing someone’s local notes.  We would have to have III change the label again.
    • Jamie points out that this could lead to notes getting duplicated and they could pile up.  This is something we would have to watch for, and maybe clean up.
    • Everyone seems to be in favor of exploring this.  People want the 590s to move.
    •  *ACTION ITEM Lloyd: Test if we can put 590 fields in FGT v and make them move.
  • 938 and 902 fields in bib records
    • Lloyd has been looking at these weird fields cluttering up the 900 fields in our records, with an eye toward deleting some of them.
    • The most common one is the 902.
    •  Most of the 902 fields are 6 digit numbers which could refer to a date.  If they are dates they are between 2004 and 2007.
    • We can’t figure out what the 902 fields are for.
    • The 938 fields include vendor acquisitions information, but our system does not use this information.
    • Lloyd wants to delete the 938s and set the load profiles to not load this information.Jamie suggests that we wait until the March meeting to bring this up again in case someone not at the meeting has an objection.
    • Nobody at the meeting has an objection to clearing out the 902 and 938 fields.
    • *ACTION ITEM Bring up again at March UCC meeting for final decision.
  • New MARC fields with URIs
    • 340, 344, 345, 346, 347, 348 can now have URIs.
    • Marcive would supply these fields free if we want.
    • These fields are similar to what is in the 007 and 008 fields.  They describe physical and digital characteristics of things, but the terms are spelled out, and can have URIs for linked data about the characteristics.
    • We had a meeting with Marmot R&D where Lloyd mentioned these new fields, and R&D is interested in whether these might be useful for their format facet logic.
    • The Marcive service would add these fields to all of our records that they already have copies of.  They would send us new copies of all those records with these fields added.  We could load them with a loader that would only load these fields, so the records would not revert back if we had updated a record since we sent a copy to Marcive.
    • If we get in situation where Pika needs these fields for the format facet logic, then we would have to update our records with Marcive more often, probably daily.
    • Also we would have to add these fields to the records that Marcive doesn’t have.
    • We could probably get Marcive to send these fields without the subfield |0s.  We could probably get them to send them again later with the |0s if there’s actually some use for them.
    •  *ACTION ITEM Lloyd: pull together a set of records in our system that already have these fields so people can see what they look like, and R&D can think about if they would be more helpful for format facet logic.
  • Set of test records from Library of Congress with no ISBD punctuation.
    • Library of Congress is experimenting with MARC records that don’t have ISBD punctuation.
    • ISBD punctuation was originally created to help make records machine readable, but it is now mostly redundant because we have subfield delimiters which are what machines actually use.
    • It seems likely that this is where MARC records will go in the next few years, but at this point it is entirely experimental.
    • Lloyd is going to load several hundred test records from LOC so we can see how they look in Sierra and Pika.
    •  *ACTION ITEM Lloyd: Load test records, evaluate them and delete them.

 

New Action Items

Action Item

Responsible parties

Delete unidentified Saved Exports

Lloyd

Gather data on Saved Searches to find ones that can be deleted

Lloyd

Set up meeting with Telluride and Grand for implementing Marquis duplicate checking feature

Lloyd

Load new bib and authority records from Marcive

Lloyd

Test if we can put 590 fields in FGT v and make them move

Lloyd

Bring 902 and 938 issue back to March UCC meeting for final decision

Lloyd

Pull together a set of records that have 34x fields so people can see what they look like, and R&D can think about if they would be more helpful for format facet logic

Lloyd

Load test LOC records without ISBD punctuation, evaluate them and delete them

Lloyd

 

Ongoing action items

Action

Responsible parties

Update

New export profile for 538 field for CMU last copy project

Lloyd/Jamie

We can export the bibs with the 538 moved to the bib, but we can’t separate out items from an individual library.  CMU is looking into how they could pull out their own items in an automated fasion.

Update cataloging standards document, bring updated version of it back to the UCC, and get it up on the web page

Lloyd

Still in process

Duplicates Sub-committee meeting: March 14, 10am MT
Reindexing Sub-committee meeting: March 14, 11am MT
Next UCC meeting: March 28, 2018, 9-11am MT

Meeting Date: 
Wednesday, 2018, February 28
Documentation Type: