Minutes for 01/27/2016

Union Catalog Committee – January 27, 2016

NEW BUSINESS:

  • 907 and 917 fields in MARC records. Can these be deleted? (Lloyd)
    • If deleted, will this affect PIKA?
    • These fields need to be in incoming records, but are not needed in target records. So there may not be any reason to keep them in our MARC records.
    • Do any of our export tables take these numbers from the MARC fields or do they take them from the III record?
    • Amy uses “Output order records”.
    • Emily – some libraries are using 907 and 917 fields.
    • Lloyd to research who’s using 907 & 917 and reasons they are using it.
    • Amy suggested Lloyd check with Andy at TLW, Mark N., and with LTI (is 948-LTI field needed?)
  • Authority Control update (Lloyd)
    • Name and Subject authority records have been loaded into the system.
    • Next step is get an update file from LTI of changes since we sent records in the summer.
    • Lloyd is checking and will load.
    • How can we get handle on what records should and should not be going to LTI?
    • We don’t want to pay for authority control unnecessarily. Records not included for authority work are temporary records, inter-library loan records, reserves, equipment, ‘on order’ records. Possibly Cat Date/no Cat Date?
    • People don’t like using the Cat Date for this, but 500 notes will appear in the public catalog and be confusing.
    • Lloyd will find an empty 9xx field with no current purpose to which “No A.C.” can be added.
    • What about how to identify records that have been updated and need to be sent to LTI again?
    • Possibly “Needs new authority” in same 9xx field as “No A.C.”
    • Lloyd to check with LTI.
    • Shelly – if records are overlaid, will that change Cat Date?
    • If Cat Date changes, the updated record will go to LTI again.
    • Do we want it to? Lloyd checked and “F31” no change to Cat Date [Lloyd: this was incorrect, F31 protects SPEC’L USE not Cat Date].
    • We still need to consider if we want Cat Date protected or not.
  • Bib utility numbers—possibly create subcommittee (Lloyd)
    • Some load tables strip leading zeros from OCLC numbers and some don’t.
    • Some records have prefixes, i.e. MWT, DLC.
    • Some records don’t have prefixes and should.
    • Melissa Powell checked with libraries about this.
    • Lloyd to contact Melissa. The issues with Bib Utility numbers are closely related to the problems of duplicates, so a new Duplicate Committee has been created to consider duplicates and bib utility number issues.
    • Duplicate Committee meetings will be set up for second Wednesday of the month, first meeting being Wed., 2/10/16, 9am MT.
    • Lloyd will send email to members of this committee.
      • Emily Veenstra-Ott
      • Jamie Walker
      • Karen Neville
      • Amy Shipley
      • Shelley Fratzke
      • Lloyd Chittenden
      • Nancy Lindwedel
  • Consider item local notes for public catalog (Lloyd)
    • We store notes about local items in 590 fields because notes in item records do not appear in Pika.
    • These display in everyone’s OPACs even if they are not relevant to other libraries.
    • Would people prefer to have local notes in item record notes?
    • Many people need local notes to be searchable whether they are in bib records or item records.
    • Could notes in item records be search able in Pika?
    • What about in Classic?
    • Would they appear in Classic?
    • Would they be searchable?
    • Lloyd to contact Mark N. to explore these questions.
    • UCC members to send email to Lloyd on how they use 590 field.
  • Process for adding item records with orders (Brandon)
    • ASC meeting – Acquisitions – adding in order records, order records holdable?
    • Add specific I type to all records on hold which would make record holdable, not checkout.
    • Emily – concerned about using specific I type regarding libraries that check out only to their patrons (VPL, etc).
    • Brandon would send email to libraries who manually load, need to use specific new, unique I type.
    • Amy – uses a workaround. Brandon – alternative method, the first library uses a dummy record using a general location, i.e. Marmot, etc. Then, for consistency, everyone must use this method.
    • Brandon suggested to start with non-Acquisition libraries who use manual load. May be necessary to change the template. Icode2-n can be used on dummy record, after which, dummy record can be deleted.
    • Brandon would engage Tammy for a procedure to manually create dummy records.
  • MeSH headings (Lloyd)
    • FYI, The National Library of Medicine is changing the way they do subheadings.
    • They are eliminating pre-coordinated subject strings.
    • They will simply have separate subject headings for each concept that would have previously been in a subheading, such as dates, geographic areas, genres, and secondary related subjects.
    • LTI will switch our MeSH headings in the upcoming update that will be loaded soon.
  • Maintenance of Data Exchange, Create List, Statistics (Lloyd)
    • Previously we had decided that we would break up a large review file to create a bunch of small review files, since most of our lists are small.
    • Brandon to break out a large bucket and make smaller buckets.
    • Lloyd – can send emails to advise Create List cleanup when things get crowded in the future.
  • Two different field group tags ("u" and "q") both labeled "other title" (Lloyd)
    • This is confusing when you can’t tell which is which because they have the same label.
    • Which MARC tags are each supposed to be associated with?
    • Lloyd will figure that out and let everyone know before we decide what should be done.
  • Bib-Frame discussion – Mark N.
    • This is set as high priority for developing with Pika.
    • Mark will present steps to be taken in next meeting.

 NEXT MEETING: February 24, 2016 Bib-Frame discussion – Mark N.

Meeting Date: 
Wednesday, 2016, January 27
Documentation Type: