Meeting Minutes for 01/25/2017

Marmot Union Cataloging Committee

Wednesday, January 25, 2016

Agenda

Action Items:

Completed

Action

Report

  • Evaluate authority RFQs
  • The evaluation of authority vendors discussion is in discussion topics below
  • Headings Report duplicate check not working right
  • Headings Reports seems to be working now because every site should now be getting a correct bib level location code when they load records.  There are almost 6,000 dups in Headings Reports now. 
  • Vail reports that they are not getting the correct bib level location code, they get ‘aa none’.
  • Lloyd will also run manual Link Maintenance more often
  • Create a tool for comparing our 001 numbers to those found in Worldcat.org to find our bad 001 numbers.  Pascal now working with sample file
  • This won’t work.  We had hoped we could create an automated tool, but it doesn’t work.
  • From Duplicate Committee: produce ‘how-to’ documentation on deduping
  • The ‘how-to’ documentation is being proofread. We will look at it in the Feb meeting.
  • Suggestions from ASC for reindexing
  • ASC did have several suggestions about reindexing patron records.  They want separate indexes for City, State and Zip codes.
  • Flag records with no 003 – ‘UNKNOWN’
  • Records with no 003 now have the word ‘UNKNOWN’ in a 003 so we can find them.

 

 

 

Ongoing

Action

Responsible parties

Report

Can we flag potential non-OCLC 001s on record load? per Jo, there is no prompt for 003 field

Lloyd

  • Lloyd is still considering how this might be done.  Maybe a weekly global update to catch them.
  • Jo asks about manually created records with no 003.
    • These are fine because they don’t have a 001.
  • Shelly says she gets vendor records that don’t have a prefix and are not OCLC, should she add a 003?
    • No, they really need a prefix more than a 003.  The reason for the 003 is so we can find non-OCLC 001s and prefix them.

Investigate bad 001 fields in Sierra

Lloyd

  • Combine with following action item

Contact Rosanna at OCLC about 001 cleanup for members

Lloyd

  • Lloyd checked with Rosanna at OCLC about this.  She says that OCLC members can run batches of their records through Connexion and pull out the OCLC records.  Then we could compare those records to our records with the same number to find the bad ones.
  • Jamie says he has done this.  Lloyd suggests that he and Jamie can develop a training document so all the OCLC members could do this to check all our OCLC records.
  • New action item: create training document for 001 clean up with Connexion batches.

Duplicate committee should develop system to monitor incoming records to see what issues exist is with incoming records

Lloyd

  • Duplicate committee noticed that there seem to be many duplicates being created at Garfield and FLC.
  • Julie at FLC said she would like to get training on using Headings Reports so she can find duplicates.  Martha points out that many of the FLC dups seem to be Delaney library, so maybe it is Michael who needs training. 
  • New action item: Duplicates training for FLC

Unsuppress bib records remaining in lists 19 and 27.  Many of the remaining records belong to Steamboat Schools, who do not attend UCC.  Lloyd wants to check with them.

Lloyd

  • Lloyd still needs to contact Steamboat Schools about their records suppressed at the bib level.

From Duplicate Committee: develop a process to find duplicates within and between the 001 and 019 fields. (Openrefine?)

Lloyd

  • Lloyd showed the program Openrefine that he is investigating whether it can be used to help us find duplicates between the 001 and 019.

I-Type reorg proposal

Brandon

  • III’s I-Type expansion has been postponed until Q3.  Their contract with Florida requires them to have this before the end of 2017.  We decide to remove this from action items until III actually adds the new functionality.

Find old cataloging documentation, update it, and get it online.

Lloyd

  • No update

Investigate how we can take advantage of OCLC numbers in 035 of SkyRiver records. Intermittent disappearance/appearance of 035 in SR records.

Lloyd

  • SkyRiver removed the 035s after they added them for us.  Lloyd got them to bring them back, but it seems like the SkyRiver 035 may not be reliable.

Find out about possibility of OCLC reclamation project.  To what extent it would resolve our issue of records with no 001.  How many Marmot libraries are due a free reclamation?  Price of full catalog reclamation.

Jimmy

  • Lloyd has the question of how would a reclamation project be different from the Connexion batch cleanup project discussed above.
  • Jamie thinks it would find 001/019 matches, but these would not overlay automatically unless we get the 019 into the BIB UTIL index.

 

Discussion topics

 

  • Sierra login policies – Brandon
    • Brandon advised that each library using general logins will need written password policy.  Brandon will send policy steps out.
    • Sierra passwords should be reset every 6 months or with staff replacement.  Marmot can also send reminder with parameters.
    • Passwords should be at least eight characters, have at least one upper case letter, one number, and one symbol.
    • Don’t keep passwords in plain sight of unauthorized personnel.
    • Passwords should be unique to Sierra, not used in other systems.
    • If passwords are compromised they should be changed immediately.
    • A password sent on email is considered compromised and should be changed.
    • Don’t use the ‘Remember me on this computer’ feature in Sierra, particularly for machines in or near public areas.
    • Any employee who leaves should have their password changed immediately.  With Sierra Web, it would be easy for any former employee to access the system from anywhere.
    • Libraries should keep track of which employees work where, and which passwords they knew, so we can reset those passwords when they leave.
    • New Action Item: Brandon will send out this information.
    • This is a large project that we will be working on all year.
  • Word ‘barcode’ in barcode field is creating duplicates in HR
    • Headings Reports are getting cluttered with dummy items that have the word ‘Barcode’.  These all appear to be duplicates.
    • New Action Item: Further discussion at Duplicate Committee
  • Authority Vendor discussion
    • Lloyd did not like Backstage.
    • Discussion regarding cost and benefits/concerns of using either LTI or Marcive.
    • New Action Item: Lloyd to write up his conclusions, cost spreadsheet and pros/cons for feedback, etc.
    • Questions of Ebooks, and Subscription collections still need to be decided.
    • New Action Item: will Marcive flip floating subheads?
  • Records loading without 6xx fields –
    • Resolved, caused by missing ‘+’ in field for SD51 line in Holdings Symbol table.
  • Demo of Create List ‘field exists’ or ‘does not exist’.
    • Method: choose Field: ‘Hold’ Condition: ‘exist’ or ‘not exist’
    • Change the Field to ‘!’ add a MARC tag, but don’t touch Condition
    • Run the search
    • Lloyd can demo for anyone who asks

 

New Action Items:

Action

Person(s)

Write up assessment on authority project

Lloyd

Find out if MARCive flips floating subheadings?

Lloyd

Discussion of the word ‘barcode’ in barcode fields

Duplicates committee

Send out password policy guidelines

Brandon

Duplicates training for FLC

Lloyd/Nancy

Create training document for OCLC Connexion 001 batch fix project

Lloyd/Jamie/Tammy

Next Duplicates Sub-committee meeting: Feb 8, 2016 9-10am MT

Next meeting: Feb 22, 2017, 9-11am MT

Meeting Date: 
Wednesday, 2017, January 25
Documentation Type: