Minutes for 10/01/2014

Union Catalog Committee Meeting Agenda for Wed. Oct. 1, 2014

NEW BUSINESS:

  • Acquisitions users group
    • Amy Shipley and Angela Smith recommend creating a user’s group to meet possibly monthly  
    • Tammy Poquette will be the Marmot staff person assigned to this user group
    • Mailing list is acquisitions@marmot.org - send email to Tammy or Mary Katherine to be added/removed. Jamie & Judy (CMU) requested removal.
    • Amy will send an email in about a week about setting up a meeting, etc.
    • Access the Acquisitions e-list site from the Marmot wiki, under the UCC link on the Committees and taskforce page. 
  • Best practices to be established and documented
    • Create lists and saved searches - done
    • Ideas for functions that need a “best practice” document:
      • Saved export
      • Naming conventions (use first 2 or 3 letters of library district (not just branch name)
      • Merging bibs - deduping  Cataloging fields (part of cataloging standards)
      • Adding vendors (acquisitions and serials)
      • SkyRiver cataloging procedures
    • Any additional, send to Mary Katherine
    • These will be posted to the wiki; some best practices like Loading Records have documentation, but it won’t be posted to the wiki because not everyone needs access to those practices

OLD BUSINESS:

  • Cataloging Standards – what needs to be done and what is our deadline?
    • Mary Katherine will work on this - to be finished by next UCC meeting
    • Input needed from SkyRiver users; Mary Katherine will contact
  • Deduping best practices
    • Mary Katherine will investigate why SkyRiver says we need to retain the SKY number in the 001 field
  • Periodical bibs with >500 checkin records
    • Libraries need to be careful that they are attaching to the correct record
    • Recommend that this be added to the best practices list 
Meeting Date: 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014
Documentation Type: